Wednesday, May 7, 2008

iDinner

A few months ago Greg got into the habit of bringing his new Mac to the table when we'd eat dinner. Rude, right? Or is that just me? I mean, we haven't seen him all day, and here we are sitting down to eat dinner as a family and he's over there chewing his chicken while surfing the net, as if Jack and I aren't even there. I let him know how rude I thought it was and he stopped doing it. As much. He still did it occasionally.

Well last week he got an iPod. Now instead of his Mac, he's got his iPod at the dinner table, placed just so on the table that it's behind the napkin holder, out of my sight. So that he can still watch videos on youtube while "pretending" to listen and be engaged in the conversation at the table.

Oh my god, I feel like I have a third child! One who's bitter about the fact that he can't bring his toy to the dinner table, so he went and found another smaller toy, and is trying to get away with hiding that one at the table.

He refuses to see how this is rude. I explained to him that I feel like if we haven't seen him all day, we'd like to enjoy a meal with him and talk about what we all did that day. And that for him to sit there in silence while he does whatever he's doing on the internet kind of makes me feel like I'm so boring and he'd rather be elsewhere doing more exciting things. Like watching this.

Am I overreacting? Or is this rude? Because I totally think it's rude, and would never do it myself.

8 comments:

Constance the Seventy Third said...

Oooh yeah, that'd drive me mad too! I think its rude... :( Grr... sometimes men are just... brainless? HAHA!

Jessicasays said...

I think I'm getting used to it a bit, my hubs works for RIM and has a serious blackberry addiction. But he doesn't get to bring it on vacations, and puts it away when asked...

jen said...

haha yes that's rude! my husband just picks up the phone and starts calling people in the middle of dinner. He gets indignant when I suggest maybe he wait for us to finish eating first. I want to shove that phone.

"Constance-1-M" said...

Oh for the love of God ... did his mom not teach him that dinner is for eating & not playing?

You're more patient that I am ~ I would have thrown the IPod out of the room by now. What's the point of family time if you're watching idiot videos of people playing games??

ConstanceTheHundredTwentyFifth said...

That is SO RUDE!! My man and I both have 'Net addictions, but we make a point to set the computer/gadgets aside while eating dinner.

Men are so whacko!!!

constancethesixteenth said...

You have way more self control than I do because I would have THROWN the computer and the ipod. More than anything its so disrespectful to you. You are absolutely correct in thinking its rude.

omnia_vincit_amor said...

My husband says Mr. Macbook is totally being rude, there is no excuse for his behavior, not even the "it's a guy thing" one.

My take? No dinner for him if he's going to behave that way. Let him feed himself.

It might simply be "electronics addiction," or it could be symptomatic of a bigger problem. Perhaps he doesn't feel as though he's getting his "down time" after work, so he's stealing some chill time at the dinner table.

It's not an appropriate response, but it could explain the selfish behavior. I don't really know the situation, so I can't really answer the mystery for you.

The Amazing Trips said...

OMG, OMG, OMG I'm laughing HYSTERICALLY at this!!!! The video. Seriously, is that what he was watching?? What is he, 17?!

If that was my house, the computer AND the iPod would be dumped in the trash. No kidding. It's totally, totally rude. You have every right to be ticked.

But, I still can't help but laugh because OMG, that is a riot. I can just imagine a grown man trying to hide a video behind his napkin at the dinner table. Probably while thinking "This is MY house, I'll do what I want."

Yeah, No.