Sunday, April 27, 2008

It's kind of like I'm on strike, only without any clever signs

I realize this is the same song that a lot of wives sing, but SERIOUSLY, why is it that when Greg is sick, I do triple (on top of my already double) duty, making sure the kids leave him alone, that he is comfortable, bringing him soup or a glass of water or whatever, leaving him to just rest and not expecting anything from him?

But when I'm sick? Nothing changes. I still need to get up and get people fed. Get the laundry done. Get dinner on the table.

I knew my husband was lazy when I married him. I knew this. And I also know that he loves me. BUT OH MY GOD MAN, can I get a little help once in awhile??

Today I'd had it up to here, as they say. I was sick a few days ago, and received very little by way of assistance from Greg. I was feeling better today, but thanks to hurting my back a few days ago, still can only limp around. Greg was going out (to get groceries- a job that he has done 3 times in his life, maybe? And only because I'd begged him to do it for me) and taking Jack with him (again, only because I'd begged him to; usually if he does something that seems nice, it's because I've nagged him into it). I made the mistake of asking that he take Luke, too. I'd just fed him, he'd be good to go for a few hours.

Greg refused to take him, denying me an hour to myself that I was really in need of. I'm ALWAYS taking care of someone. And that someone is NEVER myself. All I wanted was an hour in which I could shower and eat lunch without children hanging off of me. I didn't think that was too much to ask, but apparently I was wrong.

I was so angry. And all the time he was gone, all I did was get angrier and angrier. I can't even fucking walk! I'm still feeling kind of sick! I haven't had a moment to myself without at least one person to take care of in... I can't even remember when! Probably last year sometime! And here's Greg, who gets to escape to work every day, 5 days a week, for 8 to 10 hours a day, and comes home and sits on the couch surfing the net or playing video games. I NEVER GET TO LEAVE MY JOB. I AM ALWAYS TAKING CARE OF PEOPLE. I'm not asking that we make huge changes to this situation- I'm not asking that we make the work load more equal. Honestly, I am usually okay with it. I like doing things for my family. But sometimes it gets to me, and sometimes I could really use a break. And why is it that the guy who's supposed to be my partner in life doesn't feel the need to give me one? Just once in a while?

I informed Greg via angry text that I was done taking care of him, of everything and everyone. That I was not going to do laundry, clean up our messy house, cook anyone food, nothing. I don't know how long this will last. I know when tomorrow comes and I have to face a day in our disaster of a house that its going to be difficult to keep myself from going crazy cleaning it. I want Greg to come home to a messy house and nothing for dinner. I want him to try to do what I do for a little bit. See how long he can do it before he's begging for a break.

No comments: