Saturday, April 19, 2008

Stupid party

I was so excited to have this new anonymous blog. I wrote like 4 posts, and then I QUIT. Not on purpose; I guess it has taken me awhile to get used to our (not so) new addition. Add to that Greg's new job, and Jack's decision to suddenly BE A BRAT and to NO LONGER TAKE NAPS, and the ol' anonyblog was, much like the middle child, ignored.

But! No longer. I may be a little preemptive in this declaration, and I may be jinxing myself, but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I think 4 is the magic number when it comes to adjusting to baby #2. As in, Luke is juuust about 4 months old now, and coincidentally, I'm all of a sudden feeling less crazy. Less like I need to lock myself in the bathroom just. to. get. a. minute. alone. Less like I am responsible for the day to day survival OF THE WHOLE WORLD.

So. I have lots to anonymously blog about. First up- my neighbors.

We've lived here for two years now, and until like a month ago, were not close to any of our neighbors (no closer than a wave if you drive by while they're out in their yard). Part of the reason is that we are younger than the majority of them; those that are close in age to us don't have kids. We kind of don't fit in anywhere. Plus, we hadn't planned on being here more than two years, so we weren't exactly going out of our way to make friends.

We got new neighbors last summer whom we've recently got to know well; they're the same age as us and have a son the same age as Jack. And they're not trashy. They are a rarity in this area.

We called them up yesterday to invite them over for dinner; it was Friday, we were going to order pizza. My neighbor's response was that she couldn't- John and Linda, our other neighbors, had already invited them over. That's cool- we were fine with that, they ARE allowed to have other friends.

But then later in the evening, when I go to answer the door (Pizza Hut man was here), I notice noise from across the street... happy noise... kids playing... adults hanging out... the sounds of a party?

I go to our bedroom window where I have a clear view of John and Linda's house across the street. Sure enough, there's a party going on. More specifically, a block party, as it looks like just about all the other families on our street are there.

True, we've never gone out of our way to befriend any of these people. But we've also never been anything but friendly whenever we've met at the mailbox, out taking walks, etc. But... I don't know. I couldn't help but feel like I was in sixth grade and just found out that Popular Girl had neglected to invite me to her sleepover. And that she was having the sleepover in the yard directly across the street from my house, so that I could watch her and all her Popular Friends eat popcorn, watch Sixteen Candles, and play Truth or Dare.

I didn't want to go to John and Linda's stupid party anyway.

3 comments:

Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Constance the Seventy Third said...

OH my... I can't believe they'd do that. Kind of rude, IMO.

You sound a lot like us... I'm pregnant with #2 (due in 4.5 weeks!!!!). Our neighborhood is turning trashy, we aren't "friends" with any of our neighbors. Well, at least you guys got new neighbors that have something in common with you. We have Ghetto Billies living across the road (they are seriously hillbillies... missing teeth and all... and the wife is like 250lbs and doesn't wear a bra!). Our other neighbors are old, and then the other one is middle aged and has no kids and no wife. Our house has been on the market for a year and a half with no signs of going anywhere. Hell!!

Constance XXIX said...

I also found that things got easier with #2 at around 4 months. I think by then #1 has adjusted, sleep is (hopefully) a bit more plentiful and the baby is (ideally) in a bit of a routine. Enjoy!